It’s almost every guy and bike lover’s dream to get on that bike and ride all the way to Ladakh. Ladakh is not just a travel destination , it’s a ride full of experience , emotions and most of all it redefines the inner persona in you and when you come out of the trip you experience this new version of yourself. Renowned to be one of the hardest trips for bikers , this one is sure to blow you away.
The best time to do a Leh Ladakh bike trip would be anytime in between the months of June to September. This time offers the best version of Leh Ladakh’s true landscape and gives you abundant beauty. However many bikers prefer doing this early on in the year/ start so they can start with a bang. Either way , Leh Ladakh falls nothing short and is an absolute banger!
The amount of time it takes to complete the trip depends on your convenience and what route you’d like to take. In case you want to start from Delhi , it’d take a long good 15-18 days that sometimes many bikers will be tired of. You can directly fly to Leh and it’d take around 8 days for completion. However if you choose to go via Manali , you cover a ton of places and it takes around 10 days.
Some things to take
- Rain gear
- Riding gear to protect against you under any adverse weather conditions
- Riding boots
- Riding gloves
- Driving license
- Strong helmet
- Medical kit and necessary medications according to your issue
- Sunscreen , caps and hats
- Sleeping bag
- GPS and a physical map in case
- Chargers , power banks
- Trekking shoes
- A good quality camera for taking some scenic shots
- Swiss Army Knife that can be used for multiple purposes
So you know what to take , when to go but don’t you think we’re missing out on something important?! Yup , guessed it right? The love of the entire trip , YOUR BIKE. This is going to be your constant partner throughout and choosing the right one is very vital.
Some bikes suggested
- KTM Duke RC390
- Royal Enfield Himalayan BS 4
- Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
- Bajaj Avenger Cruise
- Hero Xpulse
- Bajaj Dominar 400
Some tips and rules
- Always try to ride in a group. Even if you’re going solo , find a group nearby. It is always advisable to have some company alongside.
- Get some good servicing for your bike so it can endure the pathway
- Try to be in fit and proper physical and mental state before 1 month itself
- Have emergency contacts in case of emergency
- Camp only at regulated spots
- Don’t take risky paths that locals advice not to
There are basically two routes to take
Best Places to visit during Leh Ladakh Trip
- Leh Palace – A beautiful monument of history , culture and royalty. This nine storey palace is gonna leave your eyes wanting more with it’s bedazzling views of the Indus River and snow capped mountains.
- Pangong Lake – Everyone visits this place and even you should not be missing out on this gem! Depicting so many crystal clear shades of water , the tranquility the place offers is off charts and can never be described in words. A part of you will always stay there and there will be a huge change within you. This 134 kilometers gem cannot be missed by any chance.
- Shanti Stupa – Established by the Dalai Lama , this spiritual abode is home to many breathtaking views. Do visit especially at times of sunset and make the best of it. The main aim behind this place was to promote world peace.
- Khardung La Pass – Known as the Pass of Lower Castle , don’t miss out on this one! It has beautiful views and is very popular for biking. There are many shops beside where you can buy some souvenirs. Sip on some tea , eat some hot tasty snacks and take it all in.
- Hemis Monastery – A rich burst of culture and Tibetan traditions this is a must visit. It has the biggest thangka points and there is the famous annual celebration of Lord Padmasambhava and the entire area is so beautiful and mesmerizing with food , dances , music and so many locals to interact with.